Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Reflect upon my Africa trip

Dear brothers and sisters,
Good afternoon. I have returned from Africa and Toronto for over a week now. Praise God for not having jet lag at all. I was fully engaged in ministry immediately after my return. I had international board meeting and several preaching engagements that totally captured my attention. Thanks for many of you who have been praying for me. I sensed the providence of God throughout my trip and ministry back home. Please continue to support me in your prayer.
I have been meditating on Isaiah chapter 29 and 30 in the last couples of weeks. God reminded me to focus on the essential practices in life despite of all the religious activities I conducted.
This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it" (30:15). Salvation could be deliverance from any difficulty or evil scheme but not just deliverance from eternal condemnation. As we encounter uncertain future or challeneges, God reminded us to repent from our relying on our own wisdom or value system to handle things, but to rest or focus on God as our ultimate savior. Unless we give up trying to save ourselves, we will not experience God as our true savior. The psalmist said, "rest and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10a).
Another parallel warning that God gave me during the trip was to trust and be quiet before the Lord. These two attitudes or practices are essential in our daily encountering with God.
As I looked back to the all the trips that I made and "accomplishments" that God gave me, I was humbled and amazed with what God had done in and through me. None could finish a doctoral program in 15 months with heavy workload and busy traveling schedule. During those days, one thing I did not stop doing and you could testify to that was my spiritual journaling. It was a time to reflect on God's words and to receive power from above. My experience echoes what our Lord Jesus said, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing" (John 15:5). I found it to be so true!! Our God is so faithful and true. Remember to walk closely with him each day for your own good. I will share with you more about my Africa trip in days to come... (see my slide show on my blog).
In Christ,
Lawrence

No comments: