Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Devotional 050110

Dear brothers and sisters,
Good morning and happy New Year. I did not send out my devotional for a period of time. As you know, I went to Urbana and it's schedule was fully packed. Praise God for that conference. Many lives were touched and changed. And right after I returned home, I needed to prepare for my two weeks study in Oregon. And here I am, writing to you before my class in school dormitory.
This year, I will use Eugene Peterson's devotional materials called Living the Message to remind my walk with Christ. Hopefully, this study will also remind you to obey God's words instead of just studying God's words. I encourage you to buy a copy of this book and we study it together.
I am saddened when friends tell me, “I’m swamped with must reading; I don’t have time for novels or poetry.” What they are asking is that they choose to attend to the routines and not to the creative center.
There is no “must” reading; we choose what we read. What is not fed does not grow; what is not supported does not stand; what is not nurtured does not develop. Artists are not the only people who keep us open and involved in this essential but easily slighted center of creation, but they are too valuable to be slighted.
Cultivate these things. Immerse yourself in them. The people will see you mature right before their eyes! Keep a firm grasp on both your character and your teaching. Don’t be diverted. Just keep at it. Both you and those who hear you will experience salvation (I TIMOTHY 4:15-16 Message).
I need to find time to rebuild my reading habit this year. Yes, I am reading a lot for study and for preparing sermon. But Eugene reminded me to cultivate the artistic side or the creative side of our brain through reading novels and poem.
May God help you grow in your walk with Him today.
Lawrence

No comments: