Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Devotional 150709

Dear brothers and sisters,
Good morning. I like the warm sunny weather in Burlingame (Daly City is still foggy right now). Praise God for giving me an enjoyable trip to visit my daughter and son-in-law last weekend. If you visited my blog, you will see some pictures I posted there. Thank you for your prayer for our journey. We were stopped by a brush fire on Los Angel’s mountain on our way back. We were glad the highway was still opened at that time, even though the traffic was sluggish. It took us more than 45 minutes to pass through the smoky site. Yesterday, I was fully engaged with meetings and preaching at Chinatown campus of Cumberland Presbyterian Chinese Church until 3 pm. Thus, I did not have time to send you my devotional.

"I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are at Rome" (Romans 1:14-15). Paul was overwhelmed with the sense of his indebtedness to Jesus Christ, and he spent himself to express it. The great inspiration in Paul's life was his view of Jesus Christ as his spiritual creditor. Do I feel that sense of indebtedness to Christ in regard to every unsaved soul? The spiritual honor of my life as a saint is to fulfill my debt to Christ in relation to them. Every bit of my life that is of value I owe to the Redemption of Jesus Christ; am I doing anything to enable Him to bring His Redemption into actual manifestation in other lives? I can only do it as the Spirit of God works in me this sense of indebtedness.

I am not to be a superior person among men, but a bond-slave of the Lord Jesus. "Ye are not your own." Paul sold himself to Jesus Christ. He says - I am a debtor to everyone on the face of the earth because of the Gospel of Jesus; I am free to be an absolute slave only. That is the characteristic of the life when once this point of spiritual honor is realized. Quit praying about yourself and be spent for others as the bond-slave of Jesus. That is the meaning of being made broken bread and poured out wine in reality.

This obligation to share the gospel is not out of fear of judgment but a loving respond to our Savior. As we draw close to the Lord and appreciate the blessing to be His own, we do whatever that will please Him the most. You are liar if you said you love a person but do not do what you can in pleasing him or her. This obligation to share the gospel is a willful decision derived from a thankful heart. You are chosen to be His own not for no reason. You are chosen so that those who are within your daily contact will be blessed.

During our staff prayer meeting this morning, we read about Paul’s conversion experience in Acts 22. What caught my eyes was how Paul described the life of Ananias, “A man named Ananias came to see me. He was a devout observer of the law and highly respected by all the Jews living there” (Acts 22:12). Ananias was a devout Christian whose life was highly respected by all people in his daily contact or circle of influence. The Bible did not say much about this brother, except one thing that changed church history; he obeyed the guidance of the Holy Spirit to open the eyes of an “anti-Christ” Paul, who later changed the entire course of church history. Before the calling to do the historical task for Christ, Ananias committed to lead a devout life that earned the respect of all people around him. He lived out what he believed or the teaching of the Word. Ananias was a genuine seeker of Truth and a practitioner of Christian values. O Holy Spirit, help me to do the same for your honor.

Love you in His name,
Lawrence

No comments: