Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday Devotional


Dear brothers and sisters,
It is Good Friday – the day when our Lord literally went through hell for us; the Son of God who took the form of flesh of man and suffered a painful death for mankind. But how does it mean to you today? Was this Good Friday just another religious holiday or ritual? Or was this a new beginning of your life on earth, which generates a profound impact in your world today? Satan knows how powerful that Good Friday means to all Disciples of Christ now and then. It has been transforming millions of lives ever since…I am thankful that I am one of them who were blessed by that Good Friday two thousands years ago. But what should I do in response?

"For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin--because anyone who has died has been freed from sin" (Romans 6:6). Co-crucifixion with Christ in me is: Have I made this decision about sin that it must be killed right out in me? It takes a long time to come to a moral decision about sin, but it is the great moment in my life when I do decide that just as Jesus Christ died for the sin of the world, so sin must die out in me, not be curbed or suppressed or counteracted, but crucified. No one can bring anyone else to this decision. We may be earnestly convinced, and religiously convinced, but what we need to do is to come to the decision which Paul emphasized here.

Haul yourself up, take a time alone with God, and make the moral decision by saying - "Lord, identify me with your death until I know that sin is dead in me." Make the moral decision that sin in you must be put to death.

It was not a divine anticipation on the part of Paul, but a very radical and definite experience. Am I prepared to let the Spirit of God search me until I know what the disposition of sin is - the thing that lusts against the Spirit of God in me? Then if so, will I agree with God's verdict on that disposition of sin - that it should be identified with the death of Jesus? I cannot imagine myself "dead indeed unto sin" unless I have been through this radical issue of will before God.

Have I entered into the glorious privilege of being crucified with Christ until all that is left is the life of Christ in my flesh and blood? "I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me" (Gal 2:20). This is one of my favorite verses in the Bible, and a life goal in front of me. I believe it is a process of being crucified with Christ on a daily basis. From time to time, my old self will struggle to come alive again. Satan will appeal to my flesh and help me justify my sinful thought within me. If it was not the work of the Holy Spirit to empower me, I don’t think I can say ‘NO’ to my own flesh each day. I would have simply justified my own flesh, which clearly against the Spirit of God.

During this Easter weekend, I am reminded once again that it was for my sins Christ went to the cross and suffered a horrible death. It was for my sins that he was mocked. It was for my sins that he was painfully whipped. It was for my sins that he was crucified. As they hammered the nail to pierce through his wrists, it was meant for me in the spiritual realm. Father God, you forsake your beloved Son and let him die a painful death at that time for my sake. How can I forget or how dare I forget that picture of the cross, which is your way to tell me how much you love me. Help me to surrender myself to your love, and love those for whom you died on that very first Good Friday.

Love you because of Good Friday,
Lawrence

No comments: