Thursday, February 19, 2009

Devotional 190209

Dear brothers and sisters,
Good morning. Thank God for another beautiful day. After half a year of exploring my role in GO international, my life right now is packed with unfinished projects and potential missions that I wish to accomplish. It could be very stressful at time, though it is exciting. But whenever I slow down my ‘brain waves’ in meditation and journaling, I am reminded to appreciate the greatness of God and His wonderful creation in life. If we are on fast track all the time, we could easily become inhuman by trying to be superhuman; attempt to play God and try to be in control of everything we do. When we turn our eyes to the work of God through Nature, we are reminded that we are His new creation in Christ. And our existence is to accomplish His purpose on earth. A tree outside my window is a beautiful work of God. Its existence is to declare the glory of its Creator, allow birds to rest in its arms, for people to hide under its shade in summer and more. It does not accomplish ‘great things’ for God but simply be the tree God wants it to be. Amen? I like Oswald Chamber’s reminder in his devotional, to attend to the ‘little things’ in life that God will use to shape our lives for His glory.

"Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you" (Isaiah 60:1). We have to take the first step as though God was not there for us. It is no use to wait for God to help us to do what He inspires us to do, He will not; but immediately when we arise we find He is there. Whenever God inspires, the initiative is always a moral one. We must do the thing and not lie like a log. If we will arise and shine, chore becomes divinely transfigured.

Chore is one of the finest touchstones of character there is. Chore is work that is very far removed from anything to do with the ideal - the utterly mean soiled things; and when we come in contact with them we know instantly whether or not we are spiritually real. Read John 13. We see there the Incarnate God doing the most desperate piece of chore, washing fishermen's feet, and He says - "Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them" (John 13:14-17). It requires the inspiration of God to go through chores with the light of God upon it. Some people do a certain thing and the way in which they do it consecrates that thing forever afterwards. It may be the most commonplace thing, but after we have seen them do it, it becomes different. When the Lord does a thing through us, He always transfigures it. Our Lord took on Him our human flesh and transfigured it, and it has become for every saint the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Procrastination is a common problem for many Christians. The Bible has made it clear to them the initiative of God, and the Holy Spirit has affirmed in their hearts, yet they still wait for God to help them do what they were supposed to, especially when it comes to something that they don’t want to do like chores. Our Lord wants us to wash one another’s feet or to be servant for one another. But we will prefer to wait for others to do it. We want to do great things for God. But if we are not willing to do chore like a humble servant, no matter how great a mission you have accomplished for God, it may not be something God has in mind for you. No wondered Jesus said in Matthew 7:21-23, “Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'” In another word, if a great preacher or missionary refuse to do the lowly chore that God has initiated for him to do, he is not doing the will of God. Have mercy on me O Lord. Remind me from time to time that chore is part of your shaping process for me. You use it to transform my character, which is more important than my comfort and accomplishment. Let’s hold each other accountable to be the servant of God.

Love you in Christ,
Lawrence

No comments: